Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Morning Ritual

Making green smoothies has become a sacred morning ritual in my small Manhattan kitchen. Knowing that I'm putting amazing things into my body coupled with the simple task of chopping, tearing and blending, is the perfect start to any day!
However, on this particular morning I'm feeling a little off kilter as I woke up too late to partake in this beloved ritual.

It was one of those mornings where you hit snooze a good 10 times, and each 5 minute interval feels no more than 2 seconds long. Those mornings are the worst! This usually results in showing up to work ten minutes late in a frazzled state and mismatched outfit...(If I had a camera with me, I'd upload a pic entitled Exhibit A)

Needless to say, I wish I had made time for the smoothie this morning because after yesterday's late night at the office, I can totally use the energy boost it gives me! BUT in the spirit of gratitude over negativity, I still managed to get a sound night of sleep, which isn't always the case when you live off of 8th Avenue!

Right now, my favorite green smoothie is 2-3 large leafs of kale, 1 or 2 bananas, a handful of frozen mango, blueberries, flaxseed, water, and almond milk. It's a sweeter way to get a serving of greens! Most people swear by the Vitamix or blend tech, but for now I find my 7 speed cuisine art to work just fine.

Nutritionally greens are very high in calcium, magnesium,iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc, and vitamins A, C, E, and K. They are also choc full of fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll, and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals. Whenever possible choose organic!

Some of the benefits of eating dark leafy greens are blood purification, cancer prevention, improved circulation, strengthened immune system, and many others, so eat your greens! The fruit you are mixing with them also have wonderful health benefits, so by making green smoothies, you are killing 2 birds with one stone!

If you're still not sold, we actually get more of the benefits from our greens when consumed in the form of a smoothie because blending ruptures the plant cell membranes and therefore releases nutrients more easily. We do not have the jaw strength to do this through chewing alone. Furthermore blending into a creamy consistency makes it easier for us to digest.

Sold yet???

No comments:

Post a Comment